POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : 32-bit floating-point TIFF output : Re: 32-bit floating-point TIFF output Server Time
7 May 2024 10:03:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 32-bit floating-point TIFF output
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 30 Jun 2007 13:59:50
Message: <46869a16$1@news.povray.org>
Daniel Richard G. wrote:
> So, given that POV-Ray already bundles libtiff and supports TIFF image maps,
> I am wondering why TIFF is not supported as an output format---specifically
> in its floating-point form, as that covers ground that the other formats
> can't handle, and so would not be redundant.

Primarily because libtiff is of frighteningly poor quality in many aspects
of anything but the most common TIFF features. Even those features supported
well are relatively hard to use compared to other image support libraries.
Not to mention, getting libtiff to compile is an adventure of its own ;-)

You are welcome to create such an export feature, but I just wonder,and I am
not sure you have asked or answered that question yourself: Which programs
(other than POV-Ray itself probably once you added it) actually support
import at any significant degree so that it would be useful? _ I honestly
know none that can internally use full float colors right now.

And, btw, are there more or fewer programs supporting the HDR formats
supported by POV-Ray 3.7 already? - I know a few, and my personal guess is
there is a way to convert from float TIFF to most HDR formats, but I just
don't know if there would be any benefit...

	Thorsten