POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Study for individual clouds. : Re: Study for individual clouds. Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Study for individual clouds.
From: Skip Talbot
Date: 28 Jun 2007 09:49:01
Message: <4683bc4d$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:

> Imo, the vertical cloud is very realistic. There is one similar to that on
> the 'screen' of the window I am looking through at this very moment  :-)
> The horizontal one seems rather 'undefined', not much internal turbulence. I
> think it needs a bit more structure.
>
> Thomas

I agree.  That one on the right looks very good, and the one on the left
looks very familiar.  I believe I have produced something similar in the
past.  Please keep us up to date on your progress and your processes for
making these clouds.  What are the technical details behind your current
attempts?  Is that an isosurface with a density function?  Rendering
cumulus in POV-Ray has intrigued me for quite awhile, and I'm still
pondering on how best to create the shapes involved.  I can produce
small cumulus humilis type clouds using a few functions, but I'm unsure
how to do the towering cumulus and cumulonimbus type clouds that have a
well defined shape and a plethora of cauliflower type details.  Anyone
have any ideas on how to model more advanced/complex clouds?

Skip