POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruined : Re: Ruined Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruined
From: Jim Charter
Date: 23 Jun 2007 13:12:32
Message: <467d5480$1@news.povray.org>
Kirk Andrews wrote:
> I'm working on a scene of some ancient Greece-style ruins.  It has proved to
> be very difficult to get everything to look sufficiently weathered and
> "ruined".  But here is one of the columns as it stands at the moment.  If
> anyone has experience or suggestions in ruining things in POV, I'd love to
> hear them.
>
> - Kirk

I don't have anything brilliant to add nor can I provide a magic bullet.
But you've made a beautiful graceful column so far with some nice
texturing.  As others have said, most find that they reach a point of
diminishing returns when trying to simulate distress by differencing out
from primitives with primitives, and integrating those effects with
perturbed normals,... though there seems no reason that it can't be done
if sufficient patience and ingenuity is applied to the task. So most
turn to isosurfaces for real displacement effects from procedural
patterns.  When render times get large the next recourse is
programmatically generating meshes where again procedural patterns can
be incorporated to displace the surface.  Such an approach for
brickshapes is a macro recently published by Bill Pragnell.  This could
be adapted for cylinders too.   There are also some heightfield macros
that might also be useful.

Your textures are quite beautiful, the next stage would be to make the
coloring also responsive to the surface so that grime seems to reside in
the recesses and so on.  Remember that a factor in the weathering of
building is the role of bird poop and the like.  Recesses get perched
on, biology takes its course, then rain causes grime to run and leech
down the surface.