POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Heightfield with road : Re: Heightfield with road Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfield with road
From: Alain
Date: 21 Jun 2007 19:03:58
Message: <467b03de@news.povray.org>
SharkD nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/06/21 03:54:
> I've created a scene with a heightfield. I want to place a road over the
> heightfield. I created a macro to generate a spline-shaped road that is
> interpolated through points on the heightfield. The problem is that the
> road cuts into (or floats over) the terrain depending on the slope of the
> terrain around it. I don't expect there's a way to fix this. The only thing
> I can think of is to modifiy the heightfield. Unfortunately, the resolution
> of my heightfield is not great enough to do this.
>
> What do the professionals do when they are facing similar problems?

Start by cuting away the path of the road from the hight_field using a
difference. You can use boxes, cylinders, sphere_sweep, or a collection of
prism. This will solve the buried road problem.
Give some thickness to your road, or give it some foundation. This will solve
the floating road problem.

The suggestion from Rarius can work but will be very slow, due to bounding
ineficiency when differencing. If you go that way, it may be worth it to use
merge instead of union (you remove 1 merge instead of each individual union
object), or set split_union off (on by default).

--
Alain
AI programmers only think they do it