POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : -Another- RSOCP variation (217kB jpeg) : Re: -Another- RSOCP variation (217kB jpeg) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:15:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: -Another- RSOCP variation (217kB jpeg)
From: Alain
Date: 20 Jun 2007 17:41:08
Message: <46799ef4$1@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/06/19 11:44:
> scott wrote:
>
>>> This is based on an image posted here about six months (?) ago. The
>>> original
>>> artist may recognize that I ripped his idea off...
>> http://farm1.static.flickr.com/64/153557795_17d207dad0_o.jpg
>>
>> Yeh I noticed, but that's the whole point of posting stuff here, so that
>> everyone else can get inspiration.
>
> Well, your scene sure inspired me!
>
>> It looks good :-)  Actually I got
>> inspiration for my original from a promotional magazine in the office next
>> to mine.
>
> I wonder if there are any truly original ideas around anywhere anymore...
>
>> Also, I found that using superellipsoids rather than rounded boxes gave
>> "smoother" looking reflections.
>
> I simply used Moray 3.5's "standard" rounded box for my boxes - how does
> rendering time compare for unions (which my boxes are) vs. superellipsoids?
A superellipsoid takes longer to render than box, spheres and cylinders. Box and
spheres are highly optimised shapes, and cylinders are slightly less.
Superellipsoids can't benefit as much from optimisation as they have variable
curvature and much more complex equations.

--
Alain
Save the whales. Collect the whole set.