POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lost Guy - WIP : Re: Lost Guy - WIP Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lost Guy - WIP
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 17 Jun 2007 18:24:33
Message: <4675b4a1$1@news.povray.org>
Grassblade wrote:
> Tim Nikias <JUS### [at] gmxnetWARE> wrote:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>> I agree with Alain. In addition, the grass looks like the kind of thing
>>> you get in a desert or at a beach. Maybe dunes would be more appropriate
>>> there. :-)
>> Hm, what would be required to make it less duny and more normal grass?
>
> The base of the grassblades is too wide. The way you have set them up, it
> looks realistic for very short grass. But we can use Lost Guy to measure
> grass heigth and realise it's quite tall. The grass near the path could
> also be flatter, as it's likely someone trod on it. Your grass is also of
> random height, but flat on average. Real grass tends to be in clumps, some
> taller and greener, others shorter and yellower, but clumps near a tall and
> green clump are more likely to be tall and green too. Finally, grass is
> nearly white near the ground.
> Gilles Tran's grass-making macro is very good although not perfect, you may
> want to compare notes with it.

Maybe I should have another look at it, but AFAIK it places tones of
grass-blades, while my approach is to place bushels. Maybe I'll work
further on the placing and scaling (via patterns or function) to
generate that more uniform look you mention when those bushels are
closer to each other. As it is now, I just build a bushel, texture each
blade differently and use some random scaling. But, as I said, the image
is WIP and at its beginning, still lots of room for improvement.

Thanks for all the suggestions, btw!

Regards,
Tim

--