POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PoseRay 3.11.0 released: comments for future improvements : Re: PoseRay 3.11.0 released: comments for future improvements Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoseRay 3.11.0 released: comments for future improvements
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Jun 2007 03:56:07
Message: <4674e917$1@news.povray.org>
"Janet" <par### [at] attnet> schreef in bericht
> "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
>> 4) G2 hair: Poser 7 introduced G2 figures and also G2 conforming hair.
>> For
>> many reasons G2 hair is more realistic than the conforming hair in Poser
>> 6.
>> However, when exported to POV-Ray through Poseray, the result is rather
>> disappointing. I discovered now why this is so. G2 hair uses a bump map
>> for
>> displacement mapping. Why for displacement is debatable as the hair mesh
>> is
>> fine but not particularly so. Better is to use the map as a bump map. The
>> results are much better. However, there is a problem with G2 conforming
>> hair
>> and Poseray. First, the hair geometry (in the example I used at least)
>> has
>> its morphs centered on the neck body part of the hair figure. In Poseray
>> the
>> neck of the human figure AND the neck of the hair figure are translated
>> into
>> one single mesh geometry group. Second, and as a consequence probably,
>> the
>> displacement map for the hair group is not loaded. While the material
>> maps
>> for the hair are properly loaded, the bump map is not. When adding the
>> proper bump map in Poseray and exporting to POV-Ray, the results are
>> excellent.
>
> It's often advantagious to import items one at a time. An obj for hair, an
> obj for the figure, the poncho, etc. For example, if you are working on
> the
> poncho material in POV-Ray, you can comment out the other objects and it
> parses much faster.
> I use a method like this:
> //Assembled objects ...
> #include "BodyVase3_POV_geom.inc" object{BodyVase3_}
> #include "V4Head_POV_geom.inc" object{V4Head_}
> #include "Hat_POV_geom.inc" object{Hat_}
> #include "Flowers_POV_geom.inc" object{Flowers_}

You are absolutely right, Janet. I have been thinking along this line, but
not used it really just because everything went smooth and fast enough not
to bother yet. However, I am often at the limits where Poser begins to slow
down noticiably because of too many things to manage at the same time. This
is particularly the case with several dynamic simulations applied to the
same figure. So, breaking up the workflow where possible is an excellent
option and easy to reassemble in POV-Ray later on.

Thomas