POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PoseRay 3.11.0 released: comments for future improvements : Re: PoseRay 3.11.0 released: comments for future improvements Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoseRay 3.11.0 released: comments for future improvements
From: FlyerX
Date: 16 Jun 2007 18:45:59
Message: <46746827@news.povray.org>
Thibaut Jonckheere wrote:

> Since Thomas has started a thread about Poseray, I take the opportunity
> to say all the good I think of it. I used it a lot while testing
> PovEdge, and really it is *so much* more than a simple format converter !
>
> I am sure than there are many functionnalities I am not aware of, but I
> know that:
>
> - It can correct models that have problems, by re-calculating the
> normals (very useful in many situations, as bugged model are quite common).
>
> - It can subdivide models. This is unvaluable with low-poly models,
> which can then become much more usable.
>
> - It can import PovRay mesh2! This may sound uninteresting for a Povray
> user, but it is not. It means that all the great mesh2 models available
> in the community can be corrected (if necessary), subdivided, or even
> (as output in .obj is also possible) imported in Wings3d, or any other
> modeler, to be modified at will ! By the way, as a small feature
> request, the parsing of the mesh2 format concerning the textures could
> be improved (now it changes the names to Pov_Texture_1, etc. and
> changing this back by hand can become tedious when there are many
> different textures).
>

> Thibaut

Thibaut,

I am glad that you find PoseRay useful. I will look into the texture
naming. It is just a little complicated because a texture may be layered
and that may mangle the names. Besides the meshes may have their own
materials instead (such as PoseRay output) and that complicates matters
further.

FlyerX