POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Harold on the road #2 : Re: Harold on the road #2 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Harold on the road #2
From: Thibaut Jonckheere
Date: 10 Jun 2007 07:31:27
Message: <466be10f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   This image would have great potential to become an awesomely realistic
> image if you dropped the outlines, used some more elaborated textures
> and perhaps a photorealistic sky.
>
>   Some people have commented that they like the mix between realistic
> and cartoony elements in the image. I have to be honest, I don't really
> like that too much myself. It makes the image just look odd. Either it
> should be completely cartoony or completely realistic. This kind of
> mix between the two just doesn't work very well, IMO.
>   It would be interesting to see a photorealistic version of this
> image.

	I agree a (photo)realistic version would be interesting, but... I am
certainly not going to make it :-) (if anyone is interested in doing so,
I am happy to share the code). First because I don't have the ability
(and I don't have the patience/motivation/talent to learn it). And
second because I really like non realistic pictures, and for me
photorealism is not a goal in itself. Note that using more elaborated
textures would not be enough : one would need to add much more details
to many objects; for example the security rails are quite basic here,
and modelling those with more details  is no fun at all, at least for me.

	As for this cartoon style, I really understand that one does not like
it, and I have no ambition to make a picture that anyone would like or
be impressed with. But I think that Povray is really a versatile tool,
and that it is interesting to explore the many possibilities.

		Thibaut