POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Harold on the road #2 : Re: Harold on the road #2 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Harold on the road #2
From: Thibaut Jonckheere
Date: 10 Jun 2007 07:02:06
Message: <466bda2e$1@news.povray.org>
> Arbaro sounds nice, though written in java: certainly faster with polygon
> trees than the many CSG macro generators.  Is there any reason why povray
> SDL would not handle it, other than performance perhaps?

The nice point about polygon trees is instantiation : multiple copies of
a single tree cost the same resources as the single tree.

> I've seen PovEdge before and it seems to have matured a lot to be able to
> produce  such smooth round edges.  I myself am not really into
> non-photorealistic raytracing, but this is definetely a plus for the povray
> community. :)

Thank you. I have used the version posted here a few weeks ago. Getting
the edges for most of the cars was really a question of minutes.

> I'm curious about render time. :)

	With the simple textures and the unique light-source, rendering was
quite quick (~1 hour at 3600x4800 !). Because of the many objects and
edges, parsing becomes a bit long though (~15 minutes).

Thibaut