POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Harold on the road #2 : Re: Harold on the road #2 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Harold on the road #2
From: Thibaut Jonckheere
Date: 10 Jun 2007 06:50:51
Message: <466bd78b$1@news.povray.org>

> Love it!   Where's the first episode?

Thanks. The first episode, I don't think I have posted it on this ng. It
can be seen here : http://tuabiht.chez-alice.fr/PovEdgeEx/harold1.jpg
The caption reads "Of course it was a shortcut, but Harold knew he would
need all his vigilance to go through the roadsign fields".

>  I'm curious what approach you took
>> for making the road.

The whole ground (road + landscape) is a single parametric isosurface.
In fact, the curve of the road in the xz plane is a parabola, and I have
computed "local coordinates" for points on the road (U : position along
the road, V position across the road). This a kind of analytical UV
mapping, which allow me to get easily the texture of the road, and
placement macro for objects on the road.

Thibaut