POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Study for athmospheres (WIP) : Re: Study for athmospheres (WIP) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Study for athmospheres (WIP)
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 8 Jun 2007 05:15:02
Message: <46691e16@news.povray.org>
"Bruno Cabasson" <bru### [at] alcatelaleniaspacefr> wrote in message
> I am trying to find general pinciples for good skies, especially sunsets,
> by
> imitating phyical phenomena instead of faking them (eg use of a
> earth-sized
> spherical container with Rayleigh scattering of blue color with 'real'
> density of the air particles, instead of a sky_sphere with a color_map).
> As
> the renders are quite long, I can only do 1 or 2 tries a day ...

hmmmm ..... interesting. I'm working on an approach that involves the
sky_sphere as that outer most layer (gradient blues) and concentric spheres
with largely transparent portions. I've declared pigments (PinkClouds,
DarkClouds, DarkerClouds) based on wrinkles pattern then textured the
spheres using bozo and texture_map. I'm having moderate success varying the
finish parameters from sphere to sphere to give it depth. I agree simple
sky_sphere with a color_map falls short of the look I'm trying to achieve.
I've avoided media solutions up until now because of the render time but
your approach has me reconsidering that, as I've not yet achieved the look I
want .... thanks for the nudge!