POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray directly from C program : Re: Povray directly from C program Server Time
30 Apr 2024 05:30:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray directly from C program
From: frfo
Date: 5 Jun 2007 17:30:37
Message: <4665d5fd@news.povray.org>

> EinarDogfin wrote:
>> Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> writes:

>>> That does not work. POV-Ray cannot read scenes from std input because std
>>> input is not random access capable.
>>>
>>> 	Thorsten
>> From the man page:
>>
>>    Parsing options:
>>        I<input_file_name> or Input_File_Name=file
>>               Specifies the input file to use.  If the input file name is '-',
>>               the scene description will be read from the standard
>>               input.  The
>>
>> Odd that it cuts off like that, but there you go.
>
> The man page is simply outdated.
>
> 	Thorsten, POV-Team

It does work with simple scenes. It fails with scenes with macro.
I haven't experimented to find out the exact limit, but if the scene is
generated it should be possible to use only basic SDL (no macro, no
declare, ...). The parser would not need random acces and it would do
the trick.

I have a small ongoing project using this hack, but I've not spent
enough time on it to be able to be definitive on the subject.
Let me know if you try it.

BTW, Thorsten, please, don't remove this in the next version, even with
strong limitations is can be usefull.

Frederic