POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 : Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Invaders From Mars! WIP 1
From: William Tracy
Date: 3 Jun 2007 13:54:27
Message: <46630053$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
>> As earlier stated, the lighting on the distant robot seems too blue.  With
>> all the explosions and burning buildings, one would expect there to be no
>> atmospheric bluing.
>
> Strangely, I'm not seeing that on my end (other than the bluish skylight.)
> I'll take a more critical look there; I must be missing something.  The
> explosion DOES have a large, rather subtle(?) media sphere around
> it--emission and absorption media, as an overall explosion "glow"--which
> may be causing problems.

I'm convinced that it's the combination of the skylight, light/media
from the explosion, and the clouds behind that make the robot look
"funny". With the dark clouds, it feels like the blue light is magically
coming from nowhere, which feels wrong.

It's not such a problem on the foreground machine, partly because the
angle mostly obscures the top, and partly because its not more or less
surrounded by flaming media.

I assume that there's still open sky behind the viewer, and that's the
source of the light? If so, it's probably physically correct, but still
doesn't feel right, because we can't see the sky. (Oddly enough, the
blue highlights in the clouds works fine, even though they're probably
from the same light source.)

My vote still is to either make more blue sky visible, or tone the
skylight waaay down. I would go for the latter. It would be quite
dramatic to have the robots light entirely be the fires. :-)

--
William Tracy