POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP [63Kb] Studio-Lighting : Re: WIP [63Kb] Studio-Lighting Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP [63Kb] Studio-Lighting
From: Jim Charter
Date: 26 May 2007 19:28:29
Message: <4658c29d@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:
>   Gulp! You've done another one Jim. Will you please tone it down a little?
> It's making me reach for my Wings shortcut.  ;)
>
>    Jokes aside, that's absolutely fantastic! You know I like my modelling
> Jim, and well, that image just beats the pants off me for modelling,
> artistic, and probably technical too.
>
>       How did you do the stitching? One model duplicated several hundred(?)
> times?
>
>       (Before sending this, I just looked at it again, and I'll repeat the
> gulp).

Y'all are embarrassing me.  But the compliments are much, much
appreciated.  It looks like a simple enough model of a fairly modest
shoe but it still took a remarkable amount of work.  'Took three tries
of three separate strategies before I could get a version of the toe
webbing that was even close!  The joins at the sole and the joins where
the stitching crosses were reworked in several ways.

The stitching is actually approximated with little torii, scaled to look
like little flat loops. They are oriented along splines which track the
bottom of the creases for the stitching, which line the edges of the
straps, and are physically modelled into the mesh.  The splines are
generated by calculating the midpoints of the polys which form the floor
of the crease prior to final smoothing.  These polys can be exported
from Wings, as you know, ("export selected,") but as you may also
realize, they cannot be exported into any set order along a path.
Without the points in a coherent order along a path they cannot be used
to generate a useful spline.  At first I tried sorting the polys along
one of the dimensional components, x, y, or z.  This could work as long
as the paths were exported in segments which did not turn back on
themselves in the dimension.  Then I hit apon a method which seems
obvious enough once you  think of it.  If I exported the polys in
contiguous bands, each poly sharing vertices with the next, it was easy
enough to reorder them like a string of adjoining dominos by searching
for shared vertices.  All I needed to do was mark one ending poly with a
separate texture.  So that is what I did.  I do the reordering with a
little script in Python. The method is obviously tedious, of course,
when it comes to manually selecting and exporting some 53 different
paths from Wings.  (And I am still not finished, the interior stitching
of the toe webbing is yet to be done.) Also the path of the spline does
not adhere exactly to the surface of the smoothed mesh and there is the
perenial problem with the roll of objects when they are oriented to a
twisting spline.  I believe there are ways to correct this, though, when
I get up the energy for a second pass.

The best in all of this was the ease with which I could get presentable
renders of what I have, so far, with little set up effort using Jaime's
includes and lighting system.  That would have been the fatal straw
otherwise.  I hope to try some of the light dome systems also.