POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP [63Kb] Studio-Lighting : Re: WIP [63Kb] Studio-Lighting Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: WIP [63Kb] Studio-Lighting
From: Jim Charter
Date: 26 May 2007 18:43:53
Message: <4658b829$1@news.povray.org>
Charles C wrote:
> This looks like it could go up to billboard size and still look like a
> photo.  In fact, I can imagine putting a department store name next to it
> and it being an acutal billboard :)   The stitching looks wonderful.
> Charles

I wish, but no, this would not sustain much more in the way of
resolution.  It is amazing how much work it takes just to get to this
level.  As usual I am torn between taking it to the next level or
getting on to some of the other projects that interest me.  Best for me
to take mesh modelling incrementally though, or I burn out.

To get to the next level I would need to:

-add more detail to the mesh to further reflect the actual construction
of the shoe.  The sense of the separate layers of leather folded and
stitched, and the irregularity of the stitching especially around the joins,

-get a richer and more accurate portrayal of the leather texture.  This
would involve most likely UV mapping the texture to the surface which
would add serious levels of complexity to my workflow, and improving the
actually look of the leather texture.

-improve the stitching so that the actual tuck of the thread against the
leather looked and felt more real.  Right now it is just approximated
with little scaled torii.  Of the things listed here, this is probably
the most easily doable part, though again the irregular parts would be
more demanding.