POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Making clothes in Poser - Take 4 : Re: Making clothes in Poser - Take 4 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Making clothes in Poser - Take 4
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 May 2007 07:53:47
Message: <46542b4b@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> schreef in bericht

> I missed this, nice one Thomas. I don't want to nitpick but I will :-)
> The garment is not a kilt it looks like a dress to me. Trust me, my mother
> was a dressmaker and she made kilts. The check of the tartan should always
> run parallel to the edges of the kilt. To do this you would need to use a
> rectangle instead of a cone. Then you would need to wrap the kilt around
> your figure. The pleats at the back, are square box pleats and it is all
> gathered and held together by a belt. The pleats on Dress kilts are
> stitched together at the top. You have the length just about right it is a
> tad short another four centimeters would do. Although it could be down to
> his calf's.
> I bet that's more than you wanted to know about kilts. They are not the
> simple garment they seem and if you animate them the movement is quite
> distinctive and complex. I wouldn't attempt it. (Yet :-)
> I think Janet is right about loading it into Poser (6).

Ah, Stephen! I expected your comments with dread  :-)
I know. I didn't want to do a real kilt, only a make-believe, just to see
what a cone would do in terms of clothing. I probably shall experiment also
with rectangular pieces wrapped around the figure, but as you know, that is
a bit more work, although probably, highly satisfying.
One of the difficulties that I discovered, is to have a weave well-oriented
to the cloth, when that is not exactly a rectangle but an unwrapped mesh. In
RL that's easy, but in VL it's a headache and cannot be really done without
a lot of handwork probably... :-(

Thomas