POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Making clothes in Poser - Take 4 : Making clothes in Poser - Take 4 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:27:39 EDT (-0400)
  Making clothes in Poser - Take 4
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 May 2007 07:42:18
Message: <464c3f9a@news.povray.org>
So, the next logical step after the poncho is to investigate the use of
Dynamic Groups, and in particular Constrained Groups. I thought about
another fairly simple piece of garment: the kilt. Here is the result of the
first satisfactory test, after a few abortive ones.

How was it done? For those curious about the workflow:
1) I started with a simple, open-ended cone in Silo, which I scaled to the
size of a basic Poser figure. Especially the "belt" zone required attention
to get the polygons as close to the body as possible. The "belt"zone was
textured differently from the kilt cloth (see below). The cone was then
subdivided 3x.
2) In Silo 2.0, I designed four vertical "uv seams" over the kilt, along
which the uv proxy of the kilt was to be unwrapped, thus creating four
vertical panels. With an underlying image map, I could then rotate and
translate the panels to a satisfying position.
3) export to an .obj file
4) In Poser, after loading a figure in its "zero-position" in the first
frame, I imported the kilt, then scaled and translated it where necessary on
the figure, which was designated also as its parent.
5) In the Cloth Room, I opened a new simulation, clothified the kilt, then
created a new Dynamic Group to which I added the vertexes belonging to the
kilt material. I edited the Constrained Group to which I added the vertexes
belonging to the "belt" zone material. It is here that the different
textures used come in very handy as you only need one mouse click to create
the groups. The "belt" zone now functions as an anchor for the kilt about
the middle of the figure. Without this, the fellow would loose his garment,
which would be quite embarrassing  :-)
6) Tuned the different settings where necessary, chose a pose for the last
frame, and started the simulation.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Poser_figuretest_05.jpg' (69 KB)

Preview of image 'Poser_figuretest_05.jpg'
Poser_figuretest_05.jpg