POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu?? : Re: Ubuntu?? Server Time
28 Jun 2024 23:37:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubuntu??
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 8 May 2007 15:49:23
Message: <4640d443@news.povray.org>
Le 05/08/07 00:17, Dave VanHorn nous fit lire :
>> My povray setup involves typing the scenes in vi (syntax highlight, word
>> completion, keyboard macros etc) and calling my custom povscript from the
>> shell to render the scene.  Fast and lean...
>>
>> It's a good alternative to get away from the M$ blackhole.
>
> Indeed.
>
> I just scrubbed Vista off what was my M$ Slutbox, and installed Fiesty Fawn.
> I'm still looking for a solution for my PCB and Schematic tools which run
> under dos, but other than that, I like it.

What about magic:
http://www.opencircuitdesign.com/magic/index.html

> I subscribe to the MAP program, so I get MS office, OS, and server products
> for "free", and I still don't think they are worth using.  That should tell
> you something.   Vista was about the most unimpressive "upgrade" I've ever
> seen.
> Move 11G between two fast hard drives, would you believe SEVEN HOURS?

Well, that's about 440 kbytes per second... someone using an
ethernet drive on a old 10Mbits network ?
Looks like a bit of a bottleneck anyway!

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.