POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Black Hole Research : Re: Black Hole Research Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black Hole Research
From: Alain
Date: 7 May 2007 21:54:12
Message: <463fd844$1@news.povray.org>
triple_r nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 7 / 05 / 2007 17:25:
> "Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
>
>> Uh... anyway... The cool black hole effect is achieved with a refractive
>> object shaped so that it has no refraction at the edges when viewed from the
>> camera's point of view, effectively making it a 2D distortion. I then use
>> several such objects at different distances to create the event horizon, the
>> "sucking" effect, and the smaller distortion on the ship.
>
> Cool.  It looks a little sharper at the edges than I would have expected.  I
> read that book "Black Holes and Time Warps" or something by Kip Thorne, but
> I don't remember exactly how things LOOK as they fall in.  It would be an
> interesting patch though to actually simulate it.  No idea how it's done,
> but it looks like raytracing has been applied to both special and general
> relativity.  A cool gif of a black hole on the page.
>
> http://www.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de/~tmueller/visual.html
>
>  - Ricky

The visible star may not be faling in, it may be a great distance BEHIND the
black hole, then, it's light gets bent, the closer the light pass by the black
hole, the more it get's bent, leading to the observed distortion.

--
Alain
Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to