POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : ocean wave simulation : Re: ocean wave simulation Server Time
6 Aug 2024 10:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ocean wave simulation
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 7 May 2007 18:44:48
Message: <463fabe0$1@news.povray.org>
> > 3.4. Except as explicitly set out in this agreement, nothing in this
> >      agreement permits Distributor to make any modification to
> >      any part of the Software.

Right, a modified version must state that it's modified.

> and fails to enumerate all the rights required by the GPL. In addition, it
> has a laundry list of people and purposes that cannot use POV.

POV enumerates "the four freedoms" but doesn't use the same
legal language as GPL. Essentially it doesn't matter what POV's
license is if you use the separate functionality equals separate
programs argument.

Additionally, POV is specifically allowed to be distributed in conjunction
with any free operating system licensed by FSF, and GPL
specifically provides an exception for such code. (Even though POV
has not been actually distributed that way to my knowledge, it could
be considered to be covered by this.)

> (What's up with including POV with magazines, anyway? For some reason
> whoever wrote the license seems to hate magazines.)

I believe some magazine distributed a partial copy of POV
that didn't work right, along with the phone number of one
of the POV team as a support number. *RING* *RING*
*RING* *RING* *RING*