POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Black Hole Research : Re: Black Hole Research Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Black Hole Research
From: Tek
Date: 7 May 2007 18:07:19
Message: <463fa317$1@news.povray.org>
"Gail Shaw" <initialsurname@sentech sa dot com> wrote in message
news:463f956c@news.povray.org...

> "William Tracy" <wtr### [at] calpolyedu> wrote in message
>
>> Now, a personal pet peeve: In space, there is no "ambient" light.
>
> There's still light reflected off other objects, planets, other ships, etc

Exactly! I have 0 ambient, it's all just light from the nebulae and bounced
off the ship (2-bounce radiosity).
Also you'll note the sunlight is incredibly bright because the brightness of
the image is adjusted to allow you to see nebulae (which would normally be
nearly black in a scene with such a bright sun, but I'm using a high
exposure so the directly lit surfaces saturate to white and we can see
details in the shadow). I think I've used fairly realistic lighting for a
star that's a bit further away than our sun.

>> There's no atmospheric scattering of light, so shadows are *black*. Take
>> a look at a crescent moon, and you'll see what I mean.
>
> Actually, even with a crescent moon, the parts unlit by the sun are
> relativly bright, from light reflected off the nearly full earth.
> http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070428.html

Great example :)

--
Tek