POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : ocean wave simulation : Re: ocean wave simulation Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ocean wave simulation
From: William Tracy
Date: 4 May 2007 11:24:42
Message: <463b503a$1@news.povray.org>
Lukas Winter wrote:
> I got a response from the author of libaqua. He asked me to verify whether
> a GPLed library could indeed not be linked to POV-Ray without changing the
> license. Is there anyone here, who knows enough about the license of
> POV-Ray 3.6 to tell me, whether I am allowed to release  the source code
> of my patch, if I am using a library released under GPL which in turn uses
> FFTW and GSL (both also released under GPL)?

You probably can't share the finished work--GPL code cannot be used
inside non-GPL programs. There's nothing wrong with releasing the
*patch* itself, and letting people compile it themselves, though.

Otherwise, the GPL code can call other code, but the other code cannot
call the GPL code, if that's possible.

Barring that, you need to get someone to change to a different license. :-(

--
William Tracy

You know you've been raytracing too long when a co-worker nearly kills
himself over losing an hour's worth of work after a computer crash, and
you just calmly shrug your shoulders and say, "Is that all?"
Taps a.k.a. Tapio Vocadlo