POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Playing with radiosity : Re: Playing with radiosity Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing with radiosity
From: Alain
Date: 3 May 2007 17:25:31
Message: <463a534b@news.povray.org>
Lukas Winter nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 03-05-2007 10:15:
> Am Thu, 03 May 2007 00:01:07 -0400 schrieb nemesis:
>
>> Lukas Winter <web### [at] removeitgeloeschtnet> wrote:
>>> This is the first time I see those incredibly soft shadows some
>>> commercial renderers produce... done in POV-Ray.
>> I see you're new to povray. :)
>>
>> Povray has got area light soft shadows for even longer than radiosity...
>
> I have been using POV-Ray for about two years now, although not very
> often. I know there are area lights but they don't have the effect I
> thought of. Perhaps I should have said soft shading. I have the impression
> most POV-Ray images have very "sharp" global illumination, everything
> looks a bit too exact to be believable. Maybe it's the lack
> of a light bleeding filter on the final image. As someone noticed, area
> lights also only have an effect on shadows, not on highlights or diffuse
> reflection.
If your shadows from area_light looks banded or grainy, the cause is a to sparce
aray of components. Try with larger values, then add adaptive N (start with 0
and increase as needed if you get artefacts) to use adaptive sampling that will
greatly accelerate the rendering.
I commonly use aray of 17*17 or 33*33, even 65*65 without to much slowing.
If the area_light is surrounded by several objects, it's effect will vary
accordingly to the relative positions. Use circular orient to emulate a
spherical light.

--
Alain
It doesn’t matter what you do. It only matters what you say you’ve done and what