POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Splotchiness with radiosity + transparency : Re: Splotchiness with radiosity + transparency Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:08:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Splotchiness with radiosity + transparency
From: Alain
Date: 2 May 2007 17:50:39
Message: <463907af$1@news.povray.org>
JSR nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 02-05-2007 03:37:
> Hi,
> I have a problem when I combine radiosity and transparent objects.
> Splotchiness appears behind glass in the second pass.
> I use 2 pass radiosity:
> 1st pass.- No transparency, no reflection, no area_lights, save_radiosity
> 2nd pass.- transparency, reflection, area_lights, load_radiosity
>
> The parameters are:
> #if (RAD)
>     radiosity {
>       brightness      1.0  //[1.0]
>       recursion_limit 3    //[3]
>       count           800  //[35]
>       error_bound     0.2  //[1.8]
>       gray_threshold  0.5  //[0.0]]
>       pretrace_start  0.05 //[0.08]
>       pretrace_end    0.01 //[0.04]
>       nearest_count   15   //[5]
>
>       #if(SAVERAD)
>         save_file "escena.rad"
>       #else
>         pretrace_start 1
>         pretrace_end 1
>         load_file "escena.rad"
>         always_sample off
>       #end
>   }
> #end
>
> I post an image for an example.
>
> Regards,
>
> Joel

In the first pass, the glass doors are present and opaque. Result: there is NO
radiosity sampling behind them during that pass, leaving all the sampling to the
second pass.
Suggestion: REMOVE transparent objects during the first pass.
Your count may be to low, increase it some, somewhere from 1000 to 1600.
A low error_bound is good to deepen shadows. Your shadows are almost black. You
probably can increase it a good deal.
Increasing nearest_count to 20 (max value) can help reducing splotchiness.
If you need the extra samples of a small error_bound, using a smaler
low_error_factor can help by gathering more samples during the last pretrace step.
Some of your dark spots may be caused by rays hiting exactly a corner and geting
radiosity samples from "outside" the scene. A very small change in the camera
position can often remove them, or make them change location.
Also, changing the pretrace_start valus may, in some cases, help.

--
Alain
A husband is what is left of a man after the nerve is extracted.