POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sci-fi experiment (75kbu) : Re: Sci-fi experiment (75kbu) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:10:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sci-fi experiment (75kbu)
From: Tek
Date: 2 May 2007 12:48:52
Message: <4638c0f4@news.povray.org>
Looks pretty cool. I think the lighting needs a bit of work, there's some
wierd shadows around the table in the background and near the ceiling, also
some coloured lights with a short fall off would look more sci-fi. Have you
considered using coloured lighting? Here's some coloured lighting from a
remarkably similar scene in event horizon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Eventstasis.jpg

I'm not sure about the composition of your image, I think it emphasizes the
empty space inside the ship too much (rather than space outside, or the
people in stasis). The right wall and floor take up a lot of the image and
there's nothing much to see there. If you dim the lighting on those parts or
adjust the camera a bit (wider angle to show more of the stasis pods, or
narrower angle to emphasize the view out the window). For my taste I'd say
the camera's placed too tidily, the background wall seems completely in-line
with the image which makes it all feel a bit 2D.

The other thing that jumps out at me is the lack of refraction on the tubes,
I think there might be a little there but I'm sure it should be much more
distorted. Of course you may have to put that down to artistic license
'cause refraction would have a funhouse mirror effect on your people.

Oh, and there's not enough generic glowing displays and meaningless buttons
& switches! :-D

Anyway just a few nitpicks, the overall effect & concept is good. How did
you do the metallic material on the walls and floor?

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com