POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sunset : Re: Sunset Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:10:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sunset
From: Larry Hudson
Date: 17 Apr 2007 22:01:45
Message: <46257c09$1@news.povray.org>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> Well, here's an ex-WIP which I'll just call finished in first
> approximation because I won't have the nerve to continue tweaking
> it in the near future ;) The clouds could need improvement and
> the palm is a basic POV-Tree output. I'm rather happy with the
> beach, which is just a bozo sand heightfield plus water plane.
>
> The atmospheric media stuff and the water makes the scene a bit sluggish
> to render for my taste, especially with anti-aliasing. This is actually
> a low-quality 800x600 render (+a0.9, 2.5h) downsampled to 600x450.

I'm a bit bothered by the way the trunk of the palm tree seems to bend
behind the railing, I don't think a real palm tree would bend that way.

OTOH, it does remind me of a famous landmark here in Ventura, California
(famous in this area anyway).  It was a palm tree that had been damaged
many years ago (40-50 years or so?).  The trunk was broken near the top
and had fallen over at a right angle to become horizontal.  But it then
continued to grow upward vertically from there, making a double
right-angle zig-zag at the top.  It was a well-known landmark here for
many years.  Unfortunately, it was destroyed completely in a bad winter
storm a few years back, and is no longer there.  Although the street it
was on was (and still is) named Crooked Palm Avenue.  It was shaped
roughly like:

\|/
  |_