POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : YARSOCP : Re: YARSOCP Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YARSOCP
From: Alain
Date: 16 Apr 2007 17:12:49
Message: <4623e6d1$1@news.povray.org>
Tek nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 15-04-2007 13:09:
> "Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message
>> Tek wrote:
>>> The reason it's hard to look at the sun is it's brighter than the moon.
>> Right. I meant, it's difficult to even look within about 5 degrees of the
>> sun. I think the disk that's projecting light is a lot larger than 0.5%.
>> Of course, in POV you have to do things somewhat differently to get the
>> same effect.

> I'm not sure I follow. The sun's disk is 5 degrees in radius from earth, the
> brightness of it doesn't make it any larger (like I say you can use a filter
> to see that all the suns direct light comes from that disk). Povray can
> simulate a circular area light of the same angle and brightness. The only
> reason I'm using a larger one is because I'm taking some artistic license,
> in truth a small ball on a table would have an almost perfectly sharp
> shadow.

The Sun's real apparent radius is 0.5 degrees. It's extreem brightness does make
it look much larger, as even with a very small amount of scettering, that
scattered light is still blinding.

--
Alain
I can read your mind, and you should be ashamed of yourself.