POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Where are the error messages? : Re: Where are the error messages? Server Time
4 May 2024 22:56:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where are the error messages?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 15 Apr 2007 13:13:58
Message: <46225d56@news.povray.org>
Steely wrote:
> I have a problem with a current scene, where I get the error message "too

> anything helpful. My own topic still remains un-answered after weeks, which

The error message is clear and simple: Your scene is defective. Searching in
the source code, especially if you don't understand the source code (as you
admit yourself) will be a huge waste of your time. Fix your scene by nesting
fewer textures and you are done.

> Naive, but fearless, I downloaded the source, expecting to find somewhere a
> block with all the text strings for the error messages

How could this possibly work? Error messages need to contain text based on
the context of your scene. As such, there is no central place where they
could be stored, nor can they all be stored (the context information comes
from your scene), nor is it prudent software design to store all strings in
a single location within the source code (either use GUI design tools or
don't attempt an international interface - for POV-Ray the later is
appropriate as the scene description language is not translatable either).

As such, you have to search in the source code for the string. Any
reasonable text editor as well as IDE will do it for you.

	Thorsten