POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Before and after WIP : Re: Before and after WIP Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:13:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Before and after WIP
From: Tek
Date: 14 Apr 2007 23:36:20
Message: <46219db4@news.povray.org>
Well the problem with your lighting is (from what I can see) there's only 1
light source and no ambient light or radiosity to light up the shadows.

I'd suggest for starters you try something like this:

//make lighting calculations work in linear space (more physically correct)
global_settings { assumed_gamma 1 }

//main light, not to bright
light_source { <-1,1,-1>*1000, rgb 1 }

//apply this to all your materials
finish { diffuse .8 ambient .2 }

And see how that looks.

My checkered plane scene looks good because it's using radiosity and HDR,
but those are both very advanced techniques and I suggest you should start
by trying to get good results with just 1 light and ambient.

Also I learnt a lot about lighting by practicing with a very simple scene of
a white ball on a white plane, that lets you try out different techniques
until you get something that looks right without needing to wait ages for it
to render.

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com