POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : YARSOCP : Re: YARSOCP Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YARSOCP
From: Sabrina
Date: 14 Apr 2007 00:04:12
Message: <462052bc$1@news.povray.org>
Tek wrote:
> "Sabrina Kilian" <ykg### [at] vtedu> wrote in message
>> Lastly, the table edge itself. I love the pigment, it looks just like
>> the composite stone I would expect to find in a park. My eyes say that
>> each chip in the stone seems too flat. I would suggest normals, but it's
>> the shadow that gives it away. The shadow of the board on the lower
>> right looks too crisp as it passes over each little chip. Similerly, the
>> green on the far top right looks just as bright as the near green
>> specks, something I wouldn't expect looking at that table. The little
>> bit of lens effects you mentioned might take care of all of that without
>> resorting to anything more complecated.
>
> The table actually has a reflective sheen, though it's not obvious at this
> angle, so it's supposed to be composite stone polished to a very smooth
> finish. In any case I've added an area light which has now slightly softened
> the edge of the shade so that should fix the problem. Do you think the green
> specks are too bright or too dark? I put them in at the last minute and I'm
> not sure I like them!

You are right, the table looked matte almost and the sheen did not show
up like it did for the chess board. I'm not used to seeing composite
stone brand new, so I was expecting the small pieces to be slightly
varied in height or angle which would break up the near side's shadow.
With the sheen being more obvious, or the shadow being softer, I think
it will look great.

I don't think the green specks are too bright or dark, I just can't
reconcile that the chips on the top right look to be almost the same
color as the ones on the nearest edge. It looks great on the near edge,
but it seems too colorful on the far edge.

All of this could be because I am picturing how this would look from a
camera up close with a wide angle lens, not a far off zoom. I'll put a
marble on my desk again, and find a telephoto lens, and see what I think
then.

>> I linked the picture to a friend, fellow computer geek but not into
>> graphics. His response was, 'wow, wait, that's not real?' Personally,
>> I'd want this as a desktop, or a poster as is. I can't wait to see it
>> when you are finished.
>
> Thanks for your comments!

And thank you for another wonderful picture.