POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : YARSOCP : Re: YARSOCP Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YARSOCP
From: Tek
Date: 13 Apr 2007 22:26:06
Message: <46203bbe@news.povray.org>
"Sabrina Kilian" <ykg### [at] vtedu> wrote in message
> What my eyes first noticed was the 'noise' just below and to the left of
> the sphere.

Good point I hadn't noticed, I've upped my AA settings now.

> The background is very blurry. My camera seems to think that to get the
> background that faded would require a very narrow depth of field, if the
> table is normal height off the ground for an outdoor chess table. A
> little blur at the far side of the table would take care of that and
> might even convince the photographers that this is a real picture.

The picture actually has quite a zoomed lens so a real camera would need an
apeture of several centimetres to get that much blur, and that's just not
realistic! So I plan to build a detailed non-blurry floor to go there.

> Lastly, the table edge itself. I love the pigment, it looks just like
> the composite stone I would expect to find in a park. My eyes say that
> each chip in the stone seems too flat. I would suggest normals, but it's
> the shadow that gives it away. The shadow of the board on the lower
> right looks too crisp as it passes over each little chip. Similerly, the
> green on the far top right looks just as bright as the near green
> specks, something I wouldn't expect looking at that table. The little
> bit of lens effects you mentioned might take care of all of that without
> resorting to anything more complecated.

The table actually has a reflective sheen, though it's not obvious at this
angle, so it's supposed to be composite stone polished to a very smooth
finish. In any case I've added an area light which has now slightly softened
the edge of the shade so that should fix the problem. Do you think the green
specks are too bright or too dark? I put them in at the last minute and I'm
not sure I like them!

> I linked the picture to a friend, fellow computer geek but not into
> graphics. His response was, 'wow, wait, that's not real?' Personally,
> I'd want this as a desktop, or a poster as is. I can't wait to see it
> when you are finished.

Thanks for your comments!
--
Tek