POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bonsai / Girl / Horse : Re: Bonsai / Girl / Horse Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:25:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bonsai / Girl / Horse
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 7 Apr 2007 13:50:38
Message: <4617d9ee$1@news.povray.org>
"Marc" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote in message

> news: 46175208@news.povray.org...
>>

>> Reading Jim's comments on the ivy made me look again carefully at the
>> image.
>> This is a difficult and, somehow, crucial element of the scene. I would
>> like to see it really as a 'go-between' linking the two worlds: the real
>> one of our experience, and Faerie (note the quaint, antiquated way of
>> spelling here! That is important). There is a subtle Celtic undertow here
>> imo, not in the sense of Little Folk, which would be too easy and
>> obvious, but in the sense of a hidden gate to the Otherworld, which is
>> enhanced by the tree itself, standing as it were in the two worlds.
>>

> Oh yes and change the horse into a unicorn

The unicorn definitely isn't going to happen.  It's way too cliched for my
tastes.  :-)

I'm doing a lot of experiments now, with and without the ivy.  But Thomas
mentioned a couple of things that I'll expand on a little bit.  In my mind,
this series is not simply going to be about "little people".  This was part
of the reasoning behind keeping the moss looking somewhat like grass.  I'm
thinking of it as more like two worlds coexisting simultaneously: the
miniature and the normal-sized.  In that sense, it's meant to be much more
surreal.

I'm still not sure what to do about the ivy, if anything.  I've moved-on to
some of my other ideas for the series, and I can easily see some elements
from this scene disappearing.  Or not.  But I'm starting to think more in
terms of the series as a whole, rather than one particular scene.

Sigh.  Perhaps I'm thinking too much.  :-)