POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Running Pov-Ray using restricted user account : Re: Running Pov-Ray using restricted user account Server Time
28 Apr 2024 19:25:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Running Pov-Ray using restricted user account
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 7 Apr 2007 10:58:03
Message: <4617b17b@news.povray.org>
"Brian" <bri### [at] chiefarchitectcom> wrote in message
> Pov seems to try and create a temp file on the root drive which is causing
> problem for us.  If we give a user write access to the root of the drive
> the
> render works.  When they do not have write access the render will not
> complete.
>
> How do you change the location where this temp file is being created.

I don't recall but I don't think that POV creates a temp file in the manner
that you may be thinking .... I may be wrong but what I think is happening
is that if you or your users are trying to render the example files that
come up the first time you use POV the restricted account is unable to write
the output file (bmp, png etc) that is produced when you render the examples
that are included in the application directory. There are a couple of ways
to get around this .... I'll mention a couple and perhaps others my offer
ideas that I've overlooked.

1) copy or save some of the example files to the user accounts home
directory as POV tries to write an image file to the current directory.
2) use the -f command line switch to keep from producing an output file.
3) use the shared directories area if more than one person needs to
write/read example files
4) use the command line directive Output_File_Name="C:\Some Path
Name\filename.bmp .... png .... tif"

Hope this helps

Jim