POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bonsai / Girl / Horse : Re: Bonsai / Girl / Horse Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:26:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bonsai / Girl / Horse
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Apr 2007 04:10:48
Message: <46175208@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> schreef in bericht

> It goes against my principles to say too much, but that I am tempted too
> shows how interesting I find the picture.  The ivy does come off  as just
> that, some sort of muddying of the waters.  Perhaps to cover up not quite
> realized details, or perhaps as an element that once made sense but now
> just confuses.  By climbing up the tree the ivy intermediates between the
> two levels of scale, the real world scale of the miniature tree, and the
> fantasy miniature scale of the figures relative to whom the tree is "real
> scale" not miniature.  The leaves of the ivy seem caught in between, just
> as the ivy is rooted in the miniature grass but climbing up the real world
> tree.  The scale of the leaves is plausible, as some sort of grape-type
> creeper, but not the scale of garden ivy we are more familiar with.
> Further, there is a sense of "interference" with the leaves of the tree.
> It does grieve me to expose you to such close critique, but then close
> observation and mincing conception are invited by the whole precept of the
> picture. It is deceptively casual, and really quite ambitious.  Please see
> my critique as enthusiasm.

Reading Jim's comments on the ivy made me look again carefully at the image.
This is a difficult and, somehow, crucial element of the scene. I would like
to see it really as a 'go-between' linking the two worlds: the real one of
our experience, and Faerie (note the quaint, antiquated way of spelling
here! That is important). There is a subtle Celtic undertow here imo, not in
the sense of Little Folk, which would be too easy and obvious, but in the
sense of a hidden gate to the Otherworld, which is enhanced by the tree
itself, standing as it were in the two worlds.

Thomas