POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bonsai / Girl / Horse : Re: Bonsai / Girl / Horse Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bonsai / Girl / Horse
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 6 Apr 2007 11:01:06
Message: <461660b2$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen Klebs" <skl### [at] gmailcom> wrote in message
>A stunning picture. I was actually most impressed by how well you've done
> the minor elements, especially the planter pot. The subtlety of the
> painted
> glaze and the scultpted unevenness of the surface really make it look
> handmade.
>
> Congratulations!

Thanks!  The texture pot was one of those things that I got a little lucky
with.  I tried a bazillian different textures, and nothing looked quite
right, then "Bingo!"  I guess that's part of what I like about using
procedural textures; sometimes the effects are better than what I could do
by hand.

To get the unevenness, I used isosurfaces (iso-csg library) with tiny
normals stretched in the X-Z directions to give the appearance of brush
strokes.  I did the same with the varnish on the stand.  I don't even know
if it makes a difference at this resolution, but I sometimes enjoy working
on the details that lie at the edge of perception.