POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bonsai / Girl / Horse : Re: Bonsai / Girl / Horse Server Time
3 Aug 2024 00:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bonsai / Girl / Horse
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 4 Apr 2007 17:23:24
Message: <4614174c@news.povray.org>
"Jim Charter" <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote in message

> It goes against my principles to say too much, but that I am tempted too
> shows how interesting I find the picture.  The ivy does come off  as just
> that, some sort of muddying of the waters.  Perhaps to cover up not quite
> realized details, or perhaps as an element that once made sense but now
> just confuses.  By climbing up the tree the ivy intermediates between the
> two levels of scale, the real world scale of the miniature tree, and the
> fantasy miniature scale of the figures relative to whom the tree is "real
> scale" not miniature.  The leaves of the ivy seem caught in between, just
> as the ivy is rooted in the miniature grass but climbing up the real world
> tree.  The scale of the leaves is plausible, as some sort of grape-type
> creeper, but not the scale of garden ivy we are more familiar with.
> Further, there is a sense of "interference" with the leaves of the tree.
> It does grieve me to expose you to such close critique, but then close
> observation and mincing conception are invited by the whole precept of the
> picture. It is deceptively casual, and really quite ambitious.  Please see
> my critique as enthusiasm.

I'm glad to have your critique.  At this point, I believe I can handle
comments much better than a few years ago, especially as I become more
comfortable with my skill-level (acknowleding both my strengths and
weaknesses).  So, always feel free to state your opinion.  It means a lot to
me.  :-)

I initially tried a much smaller ivy, but it seemed to nearly strangle the
tree to death.  I spent so much time getting it to look "good" that perhaps
it's clouding my judgement now.  The Ivy Generator is awsome (like a
rolex!), but perhaps this isn't the best place for it.  Ok, I have a few
things to think about.

A couple other technical things that worry me: 1) I need to do something
about the front-left foot of the bonsai stand to get rid of the "floating"
appearence.  My radiosity settings are too low, or I need to change the
spotlight a bit.  2) The twigs of my tree extend beyond the leaves.  But I
can live with that, as it's not completely "unnatural".  I still have a lot
of trouble understanding and remembering the POV-Tree parameters.

Your enthusiasm kindles my own, so I hope you'll be around when I post my
next scene, or set of scenes.  Ultimately, I have a fairly ambitious plan,
but maintaining my interest that long is going to be difficult.  I'll be
fairly content if I get 3-4 scenes complete, but it's certainly possible for
me do about a dozen.  Ideally, the "whole" will be greater than the sum of
its parts.  I'd explain more about my plans, but I like the element of
surprise, and the ability to change my plans.  :-)

(On a side note, it sure is difficult for me to discuss my "Art" without
feeling extremely self-involved.  It's probably a good off-topic
discussion.)