POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another head, this time with *character*... : Re: Another head, this time with *character*... Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another head, this time with *character*...
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 1 Apr 2007 06:44:36
Message: <460f8d14$1@news.povray.org>
stm31415 wrote:
> I'm happy to hear critiques. (Though I'll say that I *am* using smooth
> triangles; the edges that show show because I am also using area lights ---
> it's a compunded but more subtle version of the jagged shadow effect. If you
> have a way to make this less visible, I'd love to hear it.)

I really like it, captured a "clean" sinister mood to begin with. :-)

As for the shadow artifacts, I don't use poly-objects that often, and
when I do, I usually use tons of polys. However, what might help in this
case, is to switch from using an area_light, to scripting a real array
of lights. Area_lights still light objects from only a single point,
it's just the shadow that gets smoother. With more lightsources, the
lighting should become smoother as well. This is, however, somewhat more
parsing/tracing intensive, since POV-Ray will have to calculate more
lightsources.

Going further than just combining a few more lightsources into an array
and using area-lights on these might be overkill, but then again the
results may be better than using as many point-lights as you've got in
the original area-light. I guess that's subject to experimentation.

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias"