POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Looking to the future : Re: Looking to the future Server Time
3 May 2024 16:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking to the future
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 29 Mar 2007 07:11:02
Message: <460bacd6$1@news.povray.org>
"Dorlindel" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.460a621ee1b965b2d499f0420@news.povray.org...

> I can't survive without competition. I discovered IRTC and POVray only 4
> years ago but i am an addict today.
> I wish i could help you in designing some new features, but i have no
> skill
> in that field.
> I have to say that i learned a lot from the artist that post their images
> on
> IRTC, and especially from the one that gave explanation and source from
> their submit.
> This is why i suggest to add in the vote an item concerning the quality of
> the explanation posted, in order to pull the level.
>
> About the different challenges, i fully agree with some more technical
> ideas, because the artistic one need to be able to use many tools and
> software i don't have, because they cost a lot of money, and i don't have
> time to studty them neither.
>
> Above all, what i love in Ray Tracing is photorealism. The more realistic
> it
> looks, the best it is.

I do agree with you, except on two point: artistry is not synonymous with
many tools and/or expensive software. The most famous painters in the world
are not famous because they used the most expensive paint or canvas or the
largest number of brushes. Artistic quality lies in a totally different
domain, also where computer graphics are concerned, also for most of the
past IRTC winners.

The second point is a matter of personal taste indeed, as you say yourself.
Imho, photorealism is not the main quality (or even purpose) of ray tracing.
It is just a tool to express one's ideas, dreams, concepts, from totally
abstract to hyperrealistic. But that's me.

Thomas