POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Bridge (WIP) : Re: A Bridge (WIP) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Bridge (WIP)
From: Alain
Date: 26 Mar 2007 16:56:46
Message: <4608419e@news.povray.org>
Kirk Andrews nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 25-03-2007 20:42:
> My favorite time of day is when the sun hangs low on the horizon and casts
> long rays of warm yellow light on the landscape.  This is just an effort to
> recapture that feeling on a cloudy Sunday.
>
> The bridge is made of superellipsoids, the trees are from POVTree (and
> aren't my favorite trees--I'll try something different next time I render
> this), and the landscape is made from isosurfaces, of course.
>
> I used an area light but I'm left with grainy shadows.  Could someone tell
> me how to avoid that?

How many elements in your area_light? The default of 4?
That grainyness is caused by a sparce array coupled with jitter. With jitter,
the elements of the area_light move around from pixel to pixel, and that
movement is proportional to the spacing between the various elements. If the
light is 100*100 unit and is composed of 4*4 elements, they can move about 20
unit around ther base locations.

Best way is to use a much denser array and use adaptive with as small a value as
you can get by. With adaptive, it's best to use values like 9, 17, 33, 65,...
(the powers of 2 plus 1). Start with adaptive 0 (minimum array of 3*3 to be
helpfull), use adaptive 1 (array at least 5*5) if you get artefacts, up that to
2 if 1 in still not enough (array at least 9*9). That way, you get nice, smooth
shading and reasonable rendering speed.

Adaptive 0 start with the 4 corners and, if some are not visible, samples half
way between them, forming 4 smaler squares. If a square is completely visible,
or not visible, no more subsampling is done. If there is a fifference, the
subsampling is repeated, limited with the size of the array.

--
Alain
   A hooker once told me she had a headache.