POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : In search of a good editor : Re: In search of a good editor Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:49:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In search of a good editor
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 23 Mar 2007 05:56:23
Message: <4603b257$1@news.povray.org>

> Philippe Debar schrieb:
> I don't know about Java (there might be components of the Java system
> wrongly running with increased priority) but apart from that this would
> be extremely unusual.  Unless you are running out of memory of course -
> since there is nothing like priority for swapping exceeding available
> memory will always slow down the whole system.  Also note Gimp uses its
> own 'virtual memory' system so you should make sure its settings are
> appropriate.

It's at least the combination of swap (Eclipse is very memory-hungry and
nearly eats up all of my 768Mo by itself), and 100% CPU usage (Pov).

But even then, I already ran into these conditions without getting such
a slowdown. Eclipse/Java must be doing something, but I will not spend
any more time trying to guess what. I'll consider this a major defect
and will make my choice among the other editors.

> You can easily test if a slowdown you experience during a POV-Ray render
> is due to POV-Ray 'eating up' CPU time - run it with lowest priority
> ('nice -19 povray' instead of 'povray') and see if this changes
> anything.  If not a hypothetical pause function in POV-Ray would not
> help either.

Thanks for the tip.

//Philippe