POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : In search of a good editor : Re: In search of a good editor Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:55:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In search of a good editor
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Mar 2007 04:39:28
Message: <4603a050$1@news.povray.org>
Philippe Debar schrieb:

> In general, that is true. But... on my Ubuntu box, PovClipse + a render
> = impossible to do anything else. PovClipse + Pov-Ray + something else
> (like Firefox or Thunderbird or OOo or Gimp) is the only circumstance I
> encountered since I use Ubuntu (2 years) that causes such an
> unresponsiveness that I can call it a gui freeze.

I don't know about Java (there might be components of the Java system
wrongly running with increased priority) but apart from that this would
be extremely unusual.  Unless you are running out of memory of course -
since there is nothing like priority for swapping exceeding available
memory will always slow down the whole system.  Also note Gimp uses its
own 'virtual memory' system so you should make sure its settings are
appropriate.

You can easily test if a slowdown you experience during a POV-Ray render
is due to POV-Ray 'eating up' CPU time - run it with lowest priority
('nice -19 povray' instead of 'povray') and see if this changes
anything.  If not a hypothetical pause function in POV-Ray would not
help either.

-- Christoph