POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : In search of a good editor : Re: In search of a good editor Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:55:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In search of a good editor
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 22 Mar 2007 03:35:23
Message: <46023fcb$1@news.povray.org>

 > Philippe Debar schrieb:
 >> [...]
 >>
 >> But anyway if I want to do any of these, I can always use the CLI.
 >
 > Well - you can't with WinPOV.  The point is having the choice - this
is what Unix is all about.

I thought there was a Cygwin Pov (but maybe this requires compilation
under Windows?)... But I never felt the need for it.

 >> Agreed, but couldn't the editor provide a pause function that calls
the OS one?

 > Sure it could, but - as with various other features there has not
been sufficient need to add such a feature to any editor i know of
apparently.

 > If you think a bit about it - there is very rarely a need for
actually pausing a render.  If you have another task that is more urgent
the best way (apart from stopping the render) is to set priorities
accordingly ('renice').

Could be done in the editor too. IIRC Povwin does.

 > The wish to actually completely suspend a render probably results
from the common (but wrong) assumption that a computer is inefficient if
occupied with several tasks simultaneously (in most cases it is more
that those operating the computer have troubles with that ;-)).

Well, it can be really unresponsive, even if efficient.

 >> BTW, I think I'll try (again) to grok (X)Emacs. Wish me luck ;)
 >
 > That's of course one of the tougher choices (but not a bad one).

Well, while thinking about the specialized/general editor stuff, I
figured that one -- I for instance -- has to be not totally "perfectly
normal" to do 3D with a text editor and not a 3D gui ;)

Povingly

//Philippe

PS: Sorry everybody for the private mails, I keep hitting the wrong menu
item. Maybe I drink too much coffee...