POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : CGSphere - FRAG : Re: CGSphere - FRAG Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:13:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CGSphere - FRAG
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Mar 2007 07:32:02
Message: <45fe82c2@news.povray.org>
"Kyle" <hob### [at] gatenet> schreef in bericht
> Yes, I've definitely had problems in trying to getting the sand right.  It
> got to a point where I decided it was as good as I was going to get it.
> I'm not sure how to get that "individual grain"
> look.  I'm currently using a height field with a color map and normal
> applied.  Any suggestions on how to get the "individual grain" look?

Look at the texture used in 'isocacti.pov' that is in the scenes directory
of POV-Ray. That would do the trick I think. The secret is 'micro normals'
but also even more a pigment_ or color_map with enough contrast, very
strongly scaled down.

By the way: concerning the tree shadows in your image: try to make the tree
cast shadows only on the sand, not on the background (using light_group).
That might be an interesting approach.

Thomas