POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : cubic interpolation for image_maps : Re: cubic interpolation for image_maps Server Time
1 Sep 2024 10:16:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cubic interpolation for image_maps
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 11 Mar 2007 14:44:58
Message: <45f45c3a$1@news.povray.org>

> There is a bug with interpolate 3, now that you mention it. When you
> wrap the interpolated image inside a pigment_pattern, the white portions
> of the image turn black....

That could be because the values are not clipped to [0,1] after the
interpolation. IIRC in a pigment_pattern, only the fractional part is
taken into account, i.e. if the pigment value is 1.1, higher than white,
it is mapped to 0.1, nearly black.
Even if all grid points have values between 0 and 1, with the bicubic
interpolation you can get values out of that range. This does not happen
with bilinear interpolation.

In my code I have a choice to clip or not the value, in Megapov I don't
know what choice has been made...

Regards

--
Vincent