POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : cubic interpolation for image_maps (2 jpegs - 63kb) : Re: cubic interpolation for image_maps (2 jpegs - 63kb) Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cubic interpolation for image_maps (2 jpegs - 63kb)
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 10 Mar 2007 18:15:14
Message: <45f33c02@news.povray.org>

> An easy-to-use macro of your technique would be useful, if it
> renders/parses quickly. It is an improvement over linear
> interpolation, that much is evident.

I posted a macro version of my technique under your thread with the same
subject in povray.binaries.scene-files. I wouldn't say it is quick...
But I don't really know if a quicker implementation can be done.

Of course since it is in Megapov now the incentive to optimize is a bit
diminished :-)

However, as I said in my message over at povray.binaries.scene-files, I
believe you could make interesting things by tweaking the computation a
bit. Since the bicubic method needs the slope at each grid point, you
could specify anything, not necessarily deducing it from the data as
I've done.

I also made a new comparison of the bilinear and bicubic methods using
this new scene file and a lower-res height field, see the attachment.

Regards,

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message