POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Some heightfield data read questions : Re: Some heightfield data read questions Server Time
28 Apr 2024 18:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some heightfield data read questions
From: Ray Gardener
Date: 1 Mar 2007 05:54:28
Message: <45e6b0e4$1@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> Ray Gardener schrieb:
>> 1. Why is GREY_SCALE3 interpretation being used on 16-bit color data
>> when it isn't on 24-bit data? (source/image.cpp, near line 540). This
>> winds up getting only effective five out of fifteen bits of elevation
>> precision.
>
> I don't know how you come to the 'five out of fifteen bits'

Elev encoding uses the red channel as the most signficant, but
GREY_SCALE3 only gives red a third of the "volume", so 16/3 ~= 5 bits.
The resulting renders in POV-Ray bear that out; the HF winds up terraced
to about 31 levels.

> but the
> special handling if 24 bit RGB images as 16 bit encoded in red and green
> (see docs for how this works) was an ugly and inefficient hack
> introduced when generic 16 bit formats where not yet common.  This hack
> was not translated to 48 bit RGB - also since it would be rather
> pointless since height values are stored with only 16 bit accuracy
> internally anyway.

I don't personally have any issue with red+green interpretation, I'm
only saying, if that's how colors get converted to elevations, why not
do that consistently regardless of bit depth (except for 8 bits, where
it makes more sense to use palette indices).

Heightfields today have explicit file formats -- why not support some of
them? Then we could skip hacking altogether since images shouldn't be
coerced into persisting elevation data anyway. PNG and PNM already have
explicit 16-bit gray, as well as TIFF, and BT and USGS DEM are both
stable and public domain. I would just drop the whole color interp hack
altogether and insist on 8-bit gray, 16-bit gray, or true elev data.
There'd be a lot less confusion that way.

>> 2. When reading 16-bit grayscale TIFFs, shouldn't the
>> Image->Image_Type field be set to IS16GRAYIMAGE? GeoTIFF elev data
>> can't be used as heightfields correctly without this.
>
> POV-Ray's support for Tiff images is limited to a very small subset due
> to the design of libtiff that only provides higher level functions for
> reading the most basic tiff formats.  I have implemented use of GDAL for
> image reading some time ago (which would offer support for most Tiffs)
> but it is unlikely to make it into an official release version due to
> the optional support of closed formats in GDAL and resulting licensing
> and support issues.  You have to convert such files into a format
> supported by POV-Ray using external tools (Imagemagick, gdal_translate).

I can see that in some cases. I believe, though, libtiff is good about
providing the photometric interpretation value of a TIFF image being
read; if you want I can attempt a quick patch here and share the code.
You don't need to use libgeotiff or GDAL to read GeoTIFF in POV's case
-- libtiff itself will do -- since you're not reading any georef data.

Ray