POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV RAY Update : Re: POV RAY Update Server Time
17 May 2024 03:33:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV RAY Update
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Feb 2007 15:26:38
Message: <45e493fe@news.povray.org>
tomuk07 wrote:
> I have an idea,it would be great to really update POV Ray,
> from its normal C format

C is a programming language, not a format.

> to .NET 2.0. Its a bit of task, although I am
> programmer, I haven't taken on any really big projects like this.I wouldn't
> know where to start with this. It shouldn't be too difficult, because Quake
> 2 was written in C and they ported it over to .NET first by updating it to
> C++ then adding .NET Support.

".NET" the marketing name for a proprietary Microsoft class library and (for
C++) some proprietary language extensions, among other things (not relevant
here). There is no reason to use that proprietary class library and those
language extensions in any software other than locking it to Microsoft
operating systems. C++ is more than capable to provide a higher-quality and
international standard-conforming implementation that is fully portable.

	Thorsten