POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Battlestar Warspite : Re: Battlestar Warspite Server Time
3 Aug 2024 04:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Battlestar Warspite
From: Rarius
Date: 24 Feb 2007 18:49:47
Message: <45e0cf1b$1@news.povray.org>
>> > This render at 1280x1024 took 51m to render... Before I figured out how
>> > use light_groups, it took over 5 hours!
>>
>> Just when you think you at least *know* about all the main
>> objects and concepts ... I completely overlooked light_groups.
>> Thanks for mentioning, they sound quite useful ;)
>
> My thoughts exactly! :)
> And very nice detailed ship!

Thanks for all the comments. Its nice to be appreciated!

light_groups only work properly if you put the light_sources directly in the
light_group. They don't work properly if you put your lights inside a CSG
like a union as I usually do...

Taking an example scene with two union, one of which has some internal
lights...

union
{
    light_source{...}
    light_source{...}
}
union
{
}

In the following example this will work and render much faster...

light_group
{
    union
    {
    }
    light_source{...}
    light_source{...}
}
union
{
}

But in the following example this will work (i.e. the lights will only apply
to the first union) but render in the same time as the first example...

light_group
{
    union
    {