POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : cliffs + water : Re: cliffs + water Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:12:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cliffs + water
From: Tek
Date: 22 Feb 2007 13:04:24
Message: <45dddb28$1@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <new### [at] runevisioncom> wrote in message
> I tried a similar thing once. It's possible to make it work quite okay for
> stills, but it has some shortcomings. For example, when looking down, the
> grass is still stretched directly below the camera, where you would see
> the grass blades from above.

I'm using megapovs aoi texture to gain more realistic fur style shading,
with the added effect that it will probably hide that artefact pretty well.

> There's something I don't understand in your picture though. Grass blades
> are visible both in the foreground and on the more distant hill, but even
> though the distant hill is much further away, the grass blades seem to
> have almost the same size. Is that a side effect of the technique you use?

Hmm... somehow I hadn't noticed that! Thanks for pointing it out it looks
like I need to tweak the formula some more, though if you look closely at my
top post in this thread the grass blades appear flat on the close surfaces,
and the very distant surfaces have really tall grass... so basically my
maths is less screwed than it was, but still slightly wrong... I'll see if I
can fix it.

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com